Bike Commute Diaries: Essential Designer Bags

18 May

Move over Fendi, Gucci, Versace and Prada. The Dutch designers, not the Italians, have their fingers on the pulse of bike fashion. Once you find a Clarijs, Basil or FastRider rack-mounted bike bag you’ll have to have one in every color and style. Because I’m worth it, and so are my bikes.

20120518-075638.jpg

About the Bike Commute Diaries: In honor of National Bike Month, I’m sharing 31 short, sweet and surprising things I’ve discovered about bike commuting one for each day in May. Happy National Bike Month!

Posted by on May 18, 2012 in Commute Diaries

10 responses to “Bike Commute Diaries: Essential Designer Bags

1. jlhhenderson

May 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

I’ve narrowed it down to a Public C3 or a Linus Dutchi 5 and was just beginning to ponder the accessories, particularly the baskets and bags. Your post was super timely!

May 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Good choices! My favorite local sources for bags are Public Bikes, A Street Bike Named Desire in Palo Alto and My Dutch Bike on Market Street in San Francisco.

May 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

I saw a Public bag the other week in town – it was orange and white and very classy. Alas, my pannier is flat black. I can’t remember the brand, just that I bought it at Mike’s.

3. Richard Masoner

May 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

My wife loves her bags, and she was so excited when I discovered fancy expensive European bags that attach to bikes. She was even more excited that I’m willing to spend money on them because, you know, they’re ‘bike’ accessories.

May 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Glad your wife found something she liked. It’s not easy to find the perfect bag, and it’s even harder when it’s a bike bag. Do you know what kind of bag she chose?

• Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious)

May 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’ve gotten her several now — started w/ Basil, but since then there’s a handmade bag from Rickshaw is her current favorite.

4. fiedlerin

May 22, 2012 at 5:38 am

I love the animal baskets from BASIL, I have a Solvit Tagalong for my Chihuahua, the sporty version, but I think I am getting a step through and a wicker basket would be so much more stylish :) then all he needs is a tweed jacket (I bet he will just love me, hahahaha)

5. ladyfleur

May 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wow, the Solvit wicker pet basket is *adorable*, especially with the canopy sunshade and sheepskin liner. You should definitely consider a style upgrade. But you can spare your little guy the tweed jacket. http://www.solvitproducts.com/products-ls798_1_ls-i50_i.aspx

I just wish my cat would tolerate riding on my bike. The vet is fairly close to home, but I’d probably have to pay for a kitty shrink if I put him in a basket, no matter how cute it was.

• fiedlerin

May 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

Actually, if it gets below the mid fifties he needs something on the bike, walking still works “naked” till the forties, anything below that he would like to wait to blow over inside, with litter box and such :).
      How do you get the kitty to the vet? Via car? I don’t know if my cat would be more or less traumatized on the bike, she hates the carrier with a passion either way, but I am quicker in the car.

May 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

I take the car. I actually don’t know if he would tolerate the bike, I just assume he wouldn’t. He’s a bit of a fraidy cat.