Bike Commute Diaries: Naughty Lace Knickers

24 May

Dirty Little Secret #4: I’m modest so I wear pretty lace bike shorts from Sheila Moon when I ride in dresses. I always plan to take them off when I get to the office, but often don’t get around to it. Roadies would cringe.

20120517-115401.jpg

About the Bike Commute Diaries: In honor of National Bike Month, I’m sharing 31 short, sweet and surprising things I’ve discovered about bike commuting one for each day in May. Happy National Bike Month!

Posted by on May 24, 2012 in Commute Diaries

11 responses to “Bike Commute Diaries: Naughty Lace Knickers

May 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Are they padded shorts, or would they work for non-bike-related modesty?

May 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

They padded for bike use. I don’t usually need the pad, but it doesn’t get in the way under the dress.

What I love most are the stretch lace edges on the waist and leg openings. And the ones on the legs have just the right amount of rubber grip. They never ride up and they’re not tight, part of why I’m in no rush to take them off. Plus my office is often chilly…

• Rachel Unger

May 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Well, I’ve heard it said that layers are the smart way to go! :)

2. fiedlerin

May 27, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Looks like thigh highs :D

May 28, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yes, the do look like thigh highs–in reverse.

3. Dottie

June 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Oh, that is fabulous! The padded part is removable? If so, I need to add these to my wardrobe.

June 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

They are fabulous, but the pad is not removable unfortunately. It’s a road bike saddle worthy pad too, so it’s fairly beefy. The designer/manufacturer Sheila Moon is a local cyclocross racer and all around cool chick.

4. Dr. M

June 3, 2012 at 12:30 am

Fabulous! Viva Le Femme. I use a similar padded mesh liner under my pants and skirts for longer rides and bike commuting. Terry Precision Cycling makes them. The mesh short increases airflow and the chamois (pad) is very flexible. It is also antibacterial. As most pads hold moisture, I wouldn’t recommend sitting around in them all day. Terry’s Mesh Liners are only about $49 so you can buy an extra and bring it along to change into.

June 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

Dr M, If you’re cringing, you must be a roadie. :)

Truth is that I don’t sweat on my commute in to work. It’s only 3.5 miles, I ride relatively slow on an upright bike, and it’s always cool in the morning in the San Francisco Bay Area. The real reason I don’t take them off is that my office is chilly. When I keep them on it’s mostly to stay warm.

5. Tasha

June 25, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’d love to get a non-padded pair of these! Remember the 80s and 90s when everyone was wearing them as regular shorts? Now I can’t seem to find them anywhere.