A Closer Look: 1986 Pro Miyata Road Bike

10 Jun

If it weren’t for this 1986 Miyata Pro road bike, I might never have found my true love. Five years after my ex abandoned this classic lugged steel bike in my garage, he gladly agreed to give it to my nephew. That meant boxing and shipping it to Louisiana, something I had no idea how to do on my own.

“Go to Chain Reaction and ask for Dick,” my friend Tammy said. There I met a man so intriguing I kept coming back for no real reason. After a weeks of engaging banter he asked me out for a bike ride. Our first bike date rolled us to bigger adventures: love, marriage and more bicycles. But this one holds a special place in my heart.

Builder of Japan’s first modern bicycle in 1892, vintage Miyata bicycles are known for their workmanship.

Posted by on June 10, 2012 in Bike Gallery

6 responses to “A Closer Look: 1986 Pro Miyata Road Bike

1. Frank

June 11, 2012 at 8:53 am

That is one beautiful bicycle. I’ve always been a big fan of lugs. Shame you hardly seem them anymore.

2. ladyfleur

June 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thaks, it is beautiful. I’ve read that the ’86 was the last year Miyata made them in Japan.

My husband has a custom bike with lugs made by Richard Sachs. Also very lovely. If you like lugs, you should check out my photos from the North American Handmade Bicycle Show:

June 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Aww. What a nice story. :)

June 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I guess I was in a schoopy kind of mood.

4. Dan Falandysz

November 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I have the same bike. keep it in good shape and it will love you back for a life time.

November 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It’s easy to keep in good shape since I rarely ride it. :( It technically fits me, but its racing geometry doesn’t fit the riding I do.