Bike Commute Diaries: Garage Parking with Security

03 Jul

The bike rack that isn’t good enough for your darling baby suddenly looks perfectly secure when the elevator is out of service and your office is on the 7th floor. The security guard promises to keep an eye on her.

20120703-093003.jpg

About the Bike Commute Diaries: Launched in May 2012 for National Bike Month, this series explores the unexpected and surprising things I’ve learned about bicycling for transportation.

Posted by on July 3, 2012 in Commute Diaries

9 responses to “Bike Commute Diaries: Garage Parking with Security

1. Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious)

July 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hauling a bike up 7 floors doesn’t sound fun. Bring some coffee or treats for that security guard. That cable lock looks awfully flimsy!

July 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Look closely and you’ll see the security guard office window is in the background. One of the guards said he’d watch my bike and added that he parks his bike there all the time.

Still, when the elevators started working an hour later, I went down and got my baby so she’s safe and sound in my office now.

• Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious)

July 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Ah yes, the big letters say “SECURITY CONTROL CENTER.” Very handy :-)

July 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Handy, but how secure? I don’t really trust security guards since I had a friend that had one sneak up on her in her cubicle when she was working late. He tried to give her a neck massage since she was working so hard. Creepy.

July 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I hear you – I would have gone back down for it too. Even with the intermittent attention of the security guard…

3. fiedlerin

July 5, 2012 at 4:32 am

Security guard or not, that abandoned u-lock alone is reason enough to get your bike.
    About the neck massage: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

July 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I see U-locks like this on racks all over town. At first blush, I thought they were abandoned, but now I wonder if maybe they’re left there on purpose, so the rider who regularly uses the rack doesn’t have to carry a heavy U-lock around all the time.

As for the security guard: Eeeeewwwww!

• fiedlerin

July 6, 2012 at 5:58 am

I thought the same thing after I wrote that, because you would think there is at least a wheel or something attached to that lock.