Fashion Friday: A Rain Burka for Monsoon Season

30 Nov

Why is monsoon-worthy rainwear so hard to find? Proper gear is key to staying dry when the wind whips up and the rain comes down hard. My cycle-specific long rain coat, merino wool cap, leather motorcycle boots and nylon gloves have me covered head to toe, and protect my sweater dress from the ravages of the elements.

Full Coverage
My full coverage rain gear comes close to meeting strict Islamic dress-code laws.

Inside Look
Works so well I can wear a cotton shirt and sweater dress underneath with confidence.

About Fashion Friday: Inspired by a 2011 Bike to Work Day challenge sponsored by the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, this series highlights the broad range of “dress for the destination” bicycling fashions.

Posted by on November 30, 2012 in Cycle Fashions

13 responses to “Fashion Friday: A Rain Burka for Monsoon Season

November 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Nice! Much classier than my way of staying dry – a Marmot raincoat, REI rain pants, and shoe covers.

November 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Sounds like you have a good setup too, and probably more suitable for a road bike. I don’t know how well this coat would do in a fully bent over road bike position.

I just got the cap with the earflaps and I love it. I got it one size too big so I could tuck all my hair inside it. Works great.

2. anniebikes

November 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm

As much as I miss the cycle culture of the Northwest (or your CA) where I once lived, you remind me to appreciate the dry, but frigid Northeast. This morning it was 11F, sadly too cold to climb on my bike. Glad you’re keeping dry.

3. jg

November 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm

That front panel is a great idea, but how do you mount up on the HR? It seems like swinging a leg over the back might be quite difficult. Why not ride one of your step-through framed bikes?

November 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hi JG, I ride Zella, my refurbished mountain bike, in the really nasty weather. I’d rather get her dirty than my my pretty white mixte or my red Dutch bike. :) I don’t have a problem mounting with the top tube. I don’t swing my leg over the back; I lean the bike and lift my leg over in front of me.

• jg

December 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

I bet your red Dutch bike is jealous of Zella. A Dutch bike that is never ridden in the rain is as unhappy as a Jeep that is never taken off road. ;)

December 3, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ha! I do take Juliett the Dutch bike out in the rain sometimes, just not to work. She’s a bit portly to haul on the train with me. Susie Q the white mixte gets some rain use too, just not when it’s really muddy.

4. fiedlerin

December 3, 2012 at 7:59 am

*curses* why didn’t you write about this coat in August when I had to start preparing for rain?

Although my LL Bean raincoat is pretty nice and I just keep an extra pair of tights in the office

5. jillycube

December 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Oh man I need a coat like this!