Bike Commute Diaries: A Cock Crows in San Jose

03 Jan

For months I’ve heard crowing on my morning commute through downtown San Jose and wondered. Then, the rooster appeared in my friend’s helmet cam video. I changed my route and behold! there’s the rooster standing outside a lonely old house nestled in an industrial area. He posed for the camera, then crowed as I rolled away.

20130103-091159.jpg

About the Bike Commute Diaries: Launched in May 2012 for National Bike Month, this series explores the unexpected and surprising things I’ve learned about bicycling for transportation.

Posted by on January 3, 2013 in Commute Diaries

9 responses to “Bike Commute Diaries: A Cock Crows in San Jose

1. jillycube

January 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’ve heard and seen a few chickens and even turkeys in DTSJ. I’ve spotted a few by Julian and Autumn St near the Shark Stadium/HP Pavilion. There’s also Taylor st that turns into Mabury st overpass. If you use the pedestrian/bike side it’s easier to see. Below there’s a lawn of grass and I think during the spring and summer there are chickens that roam freely. Finally, two turkeys roaming in a parking lot by 4th st and Commercial street just across from an old shooting range :P

January 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This rooster lives on Old West Julian near Autumn, as does the one in Richard’s video. I think it’s funny because my small Southern home city doesn’t allow roosters in the city limits. I wonder if San Jose has any laws?

As for the turkeys by the shooting range, they better run!

• 6H3770.51X (@M4NH0)

January 16, 2013 at 12:47 am

Per San Jose MC 7.60.820, it is illegal to “maintain” a rooster over 4 months of age in San Jose. I don’t think it’s commonly enforced though.

January 16, 2013 at 8:56 am

Illegal roosters! Call the authorities! The street is zoned as light industrial. I wonder if that makes a difference? At any rate, I can’t imagine anyone in the Julian/Autumn complaining about them.

2. samapoc

January 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I love this!

3. TinLizzie72

January 3, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Love it! He’s quite the fancy boy too, isn’t he? A flock of turkeys showed up in my parent’s neighborhood in Sacramento. I get lots of wild rabbits on the trails around here, so cute! : )

January 4, 2013 at 11:03 am

We get turkeys and rabbits on the trails here too. Compared to my cousin’s rooster in Louisiana, this rooster was very large and very calm, but not nearly as fancy.

4. jg

January 4, 2013 at 4:09 pm

When I saw the pic, I thought this was going to be about a souvenir you brought back from Louisiana.

January 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Ha! They won’t even let me bring fruit back into California. But I did bring back pecans. I think that’s legal since they’re shelled. But now I’m not sure.