Bike Your Pet to Work Day

01 Apr

One thing I love about working in Silicon Valley is the quirky workplace environment that goes way beyond Dress-Down Friday, ping-pong tables, bean bag chairs and stand-up desks. My current job is a little more buttoned-down than most, so when they declared it “Bring Your Pet to Work Day” I was a little surprised.

Turns out the CEO has a new Labrador puppy that he wanted to show off. I can’t blame him, who wouldn’t want their furry friend cuddled up next to their desk? I love working from home with my cat curled up beside me. So why not take him to work for a day? He’s no fraidy cat and setting up my bike for his carrier wasn’t hard.

Cat Carrier on Bike

The trip went as well as could be expected. He cried a little, but no more than he does in the car. He made a few friends along the way and is now settling in here in my office. I hope the ride home goes just as well.

Does your workplace allow pets in the office? Have you ever brought yours to work? What about on your bike?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Posted by on April 1, 2013 in Around Town

13 responses to “Bike Your Pet to Work Day

1. humofthecity

April 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

Awesome. All of the photos are great except for the last one. Have you tried my son’s breakfast?

April 1, 2013 at 10:03 am

That’s a mean trick to play on your picky little eater son. I love that his sister was in on the game.

• humofthecity

April 1, 2013 at 10:14 am

I worried a little about that but he thought it was hysterical. And she’ll eat anything–we had to take the bowl away from her.

2. TinLizzie72

April 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

I love the conductor peeking in the carrier! So great! I always said that if I still had rabbits, I’d throw them in my front basket and cruise around with them too. : )

April 1, 2013 at 11:15 am

Do you think the rabbits would tolerate it? Aren’t they as skittish as cats?

3. Mari Lynch - Bicycling Monterey

April 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

See some pups traveling by bike, and tips on bike-friendly places that welcome pets in Carmel-by-the-Sea: http://marilynch.com/blog/bicycling-carmel-where-to-bike-with-your-dog-and-other-tips.html

4. trisha

April 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

I am still not entirely sure this isn’t an April Fool’s joke! Taking my cat anywhere near the vicinity of a Lab puppy would be animal cruelty. :) Wish he were as laid back as your cat seems to be.

• Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious)

April 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

Blackie in that carrier was so mellow you might mistake him for a pillow or something.

April 1, 2013 at 11:57 am

He is very soft like a pillow indeed. Don’t worry, Trisha, the CEO is in another building and my office has a door. Blackie is in absolutely no danger at all.

5. Richard Masoner (@cyclelicious)

April 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

GoPro picked up on your trend! Their feature video today is a bike riding cat

April 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Love it! I don’t think I can train Blackie to do that though. :(

• jillycube

April 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Oh wow this rider’s cat has grown a little bigger now! I remember the original video of him riding with his cat when it was a baby. So cute :D