Bike Commute Diaries: Exile for Susie Q PUBLIC

10 Feb

Poor Susie has been evicted from her private cubicle parking spot. “Bicycles may not enter the building,” says the property manager. All bikes must be parked in the garage on the far side of the complex, a 3 minute walk. Apparently, “As vehicles, bicycles are a safety and liability threat.” I promise I wasn’t riding in the building.

We’ll see how long her exile lasts. The facilities guy at my company is on my side. And I can be stealthy.

20140210-175602.jpg

About the Bike Commute Diaries: Launched in May 2012 for National Bike Month, this series explores the unexpected and surprising things I’ve seen and learned while bicycling for transportation.

Posted by on February 10, 2014 in Commute Diaries

6 responses to “Bike Commute Diaries: Exile for Susie Q PUBLIC

1. Michael Harley

February 11, 2014 at 11:10 am

Curious to know what car parking is like at your building?

February 11, 2014 at 11:15 am

Excellent question, isn’t it? There’s surface level parking surrounding my building, another surface lot the next building over, then the next building after that is the one with the parking garage.

Most co-workers in my building park on the surface lot right outside. A few prefer to park in the garage, presumably to save their paint job from the California sun. One of them actually brings a skateboard to shorten the walk to the garage.

2. Michael Harley

February 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

Here’s my bike parking situation btw. It’s less than 50 feet from my desk and it’s right near the door but I have to park outside now. No real bike rack… just a fence to lock to.

Bike parking situation.

February 11, 2014 at 11:19 am

I have the option of parking outside on a rack. Three problems: it’s not secure, not covered and too close to the handicap parking spot. I don’t know if someone helping someone in a wheelchair would be able to get out of their car the way the bike rack is set.

3. georgie

February 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm

We have a rack… that’s open to all the elements, even tho it has a roof!!! It is completely pointless. So I take my bicycle inside and pop it where the cleaner leaves the vacuum

4. labicichical